Soup is a classic and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. It’s a great way to showcase different flavors and ingredients, and it’s also a great way to feed a crowd. One of the most popular classic soup recipes is the French Onion Soup. This hearty and flavorful soup is made with caramelized onions, beef broth, and topped with croutons and melted Gruyere cheese. It’s a perfect dish for a cold winter evening or as a starter for a dinner party.
- 6 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 6 cups of beef broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of thyme leaves
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 2 cups of grated Gruyere cheese.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for about 40-50 minutes or until the onions are caramelized and brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Slowly stir in the beef broth, water, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, preheat the broiler.
- Place the sliced baguette on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup.
- Ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls.
- Place a slice of toast on top of the soup in each bowl.
- Sprinkle grated Gruyere cheese on top of the toast.
- Broil the soup for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I make this soup ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before reheating and serving.
Q: Can I use different types of onions?
A: Yes, you can use different types of onions such as red onions or shallots.
Q: Can I use different types of cheese?
A: Yes, you can use different types of cheese such as Swiss or Comté.
Q: Can I use a different type of broth?
A: Yes, you can use a different type of broth such as chicken or vegetable broth.
French Onion Soup is a classic and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. It's a great way to showcase different flavors and ingredients and it's also a great way to feed a crowd. It's a perfect balance of sweet caramelized onions, savory broth and melted cheese. This recipe is a great base that can be adapted to suit any flavor preference or dietary restriction. It's a perfect dish to warm up on a cold winter evening and it's a perfect starter to any dinner party. With this recipe, you can make a hearty and flavorful soup that everyone will love.