When it comes to slow cooking, nothing beats a hearty and comforting beef stew. This recipe is the perfect way to make a delicious and satisfying meal with minimal effort. The combination of tender beef, vegetables, and a rich and flavorful broth creates a dish that is sure to please your taste buds and warm your soul. Whether you’re using a slow cooker or an Instant Pot, this recipe is easy to follow and customize to your own taste. So, let’s dive in and learn how to make the perfect beef stew that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
- 2 lbs of stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 cups of diced vegetables of your choice (carrots, potatoes, turnips, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef cubes, flour, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat the beef evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef cubes and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the beef cubes to a slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Stir in the tomato paste, thyme, and rosemary, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and red wine to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Pour the mixture over the beef cubes in the slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Add the vegetables of your choice.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (slow cooker) or on high pressure for 30 minutes (Instant Pot).
- When finished, the beef should be tender and the vegetables should be cooked through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or with crusty bread.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use other cuts of beef for this recipe?
Yes, you can use other cuts of beef such as chuck roast or beef brisket. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on the cut of beef used.
Can I use other vegetables in this recipe?
Yes, you can use any vegetables you like in this recipe. Some popular options include mushrooms, celery, and parsnips.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour to coat the beef cubes and using gluten-free beef broth.
Can I make this recipe in a pressure cooker?
Yes, this recipe can be made in a pressure cooker. Simply sauté the beef and onions on the stovetop, then add them to the pressure cooker along with the broth, wine, and vegetables. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
Can I freeze this recipe for later?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bags. When ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a saucepan or microwave.
In conclusion, this beef stew recipe is the epitome of comfort food. It's easy to make, hearty, and packed with flavor. Whether you decide to make it in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot, the end result is a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion. The best part is, you can customize it with your favorite vegetables, making it a versatile recipe that you can come back to again and again. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite, so make a batch today and enjoy the deliciousness of a warm and comforting bowl of beef stew.