When it comes to comforting soups, nothing quite compares to a steaming bowl of Classic New England Clam Chowder. This hearty, creamy soup is a staple in the Northeastern United States and is a must-try for anyone who loves seafood. Made with tender, juicy clams, potatoes, and bacon simmered in a rich, buttery broth, this recipe is sure to warm you up on even the coldest of days. Whether you’re a New England native or simply a lover of all things seafood, this recipe for Classic New England Clam Chowder is sure to become a staple in your recipe collection. So, gather your ingredients, fire up the stove, and let’s get cooking!
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 cups of diced potatoes
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 cans of minced clams
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the diced potatoes, chicken broth, heavy cream, canned clams, thyme, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the chowder until smooth.
- Return the pot to the heat and stir in the crispy bacon.
- Bring the chowder to a simmer and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I make this chowder ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make this chowder ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before reheating and serving.
Q: Can I use fresh clams instead of canned clams?
A: Yes, you can use fresh clams instead of canned clams. Use about 2 cups of chopped fresh clams.
Q: Can I use different types of broth?
A: Yes, you can use different types of broth such as seafood broth or vegetable broth.
Q: Can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
A: This recipe can be made vegetarian or vegan by substituting bacon with vegetable or plant-based bacon and cream with plant-based cream or coconut cream.
There's nothing quite like a steaming bowl of Classic New England Clam Chowder on a chilly day. The rich, creamy broth, the tender clams, the potatoes, and the savory bacon all come together to create a comforting and satisfying meal. This recipe provides you with all the traditional flavors of this classic dish, but with a few modern twists to make it even more delicious. Whether you're a New England native or just looking for a new comfort food to try, this recipe is sure to please. So, gather your ingredients, get your pot ready and savor the taste of the sea with every spoonful!